Friday, April 27, 2012

about being a registered dietitian


Maybe some of you have noticed something different about this website, and I am happy to announce that I am now a Registered Dietitian! I took my exam on April 24th and successfully passed. It was an exciting day, but also a bittersweet end to my academic career. All I could think of was the fateful question that I've been asked since I was about 4-years old:

What do you want to be when you grow up?

My answers have changed too many times over my lifetime and have ranged from a doctor, nurse, mommy, musician, paleontologist, marine biologist, nurse anesthetist, among a slew of other possibilities. To think that I can finally answer that question and have actually become a profession feels wonderful!

Now that the schooling is done, I have actually come up with a mission statement. No, not for a new organization, but for myself and for whatever clinical or community nutrition position I end up in:
 
 
I want to teach others how to love themselves and the body they are in through making healthful food choices. I want to teach them to find inner peace, and how to use their surroundings, their environment, and their thoughts as starting blocks for healthy lifestyle changes. I want to empower others, and I want them to use that power to teach others the same.


This is what I want to do with my life, and that, my friends, is what I have decided to be when I grow up.
 
 
Also, if you haven't done it already, I suggest crafting your own personal mission statement for life and your career, or future career if you are still in school. It's a great way to focus your thoughts on what you want to accomplish in this world.

4 comments:

  1. Patti! That's a great mission statement! I'm so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My work explores the relationship between Critical theory and vegetarian ethics.
    With influences as diverse as Derrida and Joni Mitchell, new synergies are crafted from both traditional and modern layers.
    Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the traditional understanding of the universe. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes finessed into a carnival of distress, leaving only a sense of nihilism and the inevitability of a new synthesis.
    As wavering replicas become clarified through frantic and diverse practice, the viewer is left with a summary of the possibilities of our era.

    ReplyDelete