Monday, March 26, 2012

who, me cook? (part 2)


I have to say...after all that complaining about cooking, hem and hawing, bippity boppity boo, my pasta creation came out DELICIOUS the other night. However, I did swap the gorgonzola cheese for garlic and herb goat cheese from Trader Joe's, and oh my goodness, was it a party in our stomachs or what. I ended up putting a dollop of the goat cheese on top of the cooked pasta and mixing it in to create a sort of creamy brothy sauce. Also, whole wheat angel hair was not to be found in my house, so regular pasta had to do this time!  Here is the low-down so you can make this, too:


Olive Garlicky Pasta
Get it? I-love-garlicky-pasta? Hehehe...

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 (mine were 5.75 oz. dry wt per can) cans black olives, drained and roughly chopped
2 (15.5 oz.) cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 oz.) bag spinach, rinsed
32 oz. low-sodium broth (I used chicken broth)
1 (1 lb.) box angel hair pasta
Goat cheese (I used Silver Goat Garlic & Herb)
Salt, pepper, and spices to taste

Set a large pot of salted water to boil on the stove.

In a large skillet (it is best to use one that is a tad deep, too, about 1-2 inches), heat olive oil and add garlic. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add olives and beans, and saute with a wooden spoon, until oil and garlic is uniformly incorporated among them. Add pepper and any other spices you chose. Basil would be delicious in this!

Add spinach to oil and garlic mixture. Depending on how large and deep your pan is, it may be helpful to add spinach in two separate additions. A lid placed on top of the pan will help the spinach to cook down more quickly. Once spinach is cooked, mix into the oil and garlic mixture until evenly incorporated.

At this point, hopefully the large pot of salted water is boiling. Add pasta to pot and cook according to directions on back of the container.

While pasta is cooking, add broth to the oil and garlic mixture. Let simmer.

When pasta is done, drain and place in serving bowl. Stir broth mixture into pasta. Devour. But not before you top with a dollop of goat cheese. Then devour.



Mix and match your favorite beans, add-ins, and cheeses to make it your own delicious dish! Since I have dreams of pasta with luscious chunks of gorgonzola mixed in, that is what I will be trying in this next.

Okay. And I haven't dreamt of gorgonzola pasta....yet.

2 comments:

  1. I can confirm its deliciousness...

    Also, I can confirm leftovers are also delicious. For these I ended up swapping the goat cheese for parmesan (personal preference and what I have in my refrigerator) and added some chicken leftover from a chicken I roasted. Absolutely Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy!! That roasted chicken idea sounds awesome. Also, I was thinking peas and mushrooms would go well with it all, also!

      I actually had some of the leftovers today, too, and I found that their taste was reminiscent of Ramen noodles since they had soaked up all the broth.....yumyumyum.

      Delete